Many times well meaning family members and friends think they are giving your dog a special treat, but what they don’t know CAN harm your dog.
Here are 5 things to keep your dog away from this holiday season:
- Grapes, raisins and fruitcake can all lead to kidney failure.
- Fatty meat scraps can inflame your dog’s pancreas and cause abdominal pain, diarrhea and vomiting.
- Toys with loose plastic pieces, whether made for dogs or kids, can become choking hazards for your dog. Remind kids to put their new toys out of your dog’s reach.
- An empty water bowl is just as bad in the winter as it is in the summer. With the busy holiday season some people forget to check the dog’s water. Dogs need access to just as much water in the winter when the air is dry, especially on days when they get a lot of exercise.
- Daily walks are recommended, but road salt can irritate your dog’s paws. Many people aren’t thinking about snow and salt with the mild winter we’re having, but if it does snow please remind your family and friends to wipe off your dog’s paws after being outside.
We all want our PetU Family of dogs to be happy and healthy this holiday season! If you have any questions please let us know or ask your veterinarian.